Allo' Expat Sweden - Connecting Expats in Sweden
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Sweden Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Sweden
Sweden General Information
Sweden Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
Sweden and Foreign Government
Sweden General Listings
Sweden Useful Tips
Sweden Education & Medical
Sweden Travel & Tourism Info
Sweden Lifestyle & Leisure
Sweden Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Sweden Immigration Information Work Permit


You must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. Once you have been granted a permit, it must be entered into your passport before your arrival.

Obtaining a Swedish work permit is no easy matter. Swedes, foreign citizens already living in Sweden and EU/EEA citizens have preference over others in obtaining work here. If there is a temporary shortage of labour, or if you have obtained employment as part of an international exchange programme, the Migration Board may grant you a work permit. If the offer of work is for more than three months you will also require a Swedish residence permit.

A specialist employed by an international concern and travelling to and from Sweden in that capacity in order to work for temporary periods does not require a work permit. This applies if total duration of stay in Sweden is less than 12 months.

EU/ EEA Citizens

An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, self-employed person, student or who has sufficient funds to support himself/herself has a right to reside in Sweden. The term right to reside means that an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to be in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. A person who has a right of residence must register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

If you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit. Nordic citizens can spend time in and live in Sweden without having to register or have a work permit.

On entering Sweden citizens of EU/EEA countries and their family members must have a valid passport or an identity card stating their citizenship. Relatives who require a visa to enter Sweden must apply for a visa at a Swedish embassy or consulate before entering the country.

Documentation for EU/ EEA Citizens

To register you must fill in a form with a request for registration of your right of residence. You must enclose certified copies of a valid passport or identity card stating your citizenship. You must also enclose documents showing that you satisfy the conditions that apply for one of the following categories:

See more information on the next page... (next)





copyrights ©
2019 | Policy